Glasgow Coma Scale

Joseph Peters Petersj at uthscsa.edu
Thu Jun 29 08:44:22 EST 1995

I am trying to locate locate a book, article, or a person who
can describe the pathophysiology of decerebrate posturing
(abnormal extension) in the head injured patient.  After much
searching, I have found references for decorticate posturing
(abnormal flexion) and how this posturing relates to increased ICP,
but can find nothing for decerebrate posturing.

I am an instructor in Emergency Medical Technology and this is a
frequently asked question.

Any help would be deeply appreciated.

J.E. Peters, NREMT-P
UTHSC - San Antonio