Evolution of Sleep

Pierre-Herve Luppi luppi at URA1195-6.UNIV-LYON1.FR
Thu Feb 1 05:21:40 EST 1996

>Date: Thu, 1 Feb 1996 11:14:35 +0100
>To:bareiter at iastate.edu (Brian A. Reiter)
>From:luppi at ura1195-6.univ-lyon1.fr (Pierre-Herve Luppi)
>Subject:Re: Evolution of Sleep
>Cc:neur-sci at net.bio.net
>
>>Why do all vertebrates need sleep?  Rat's deprived of sleep eventually
>>die (Rechtschaffen, et al. 1983, Science).
>>What does sleep do?  It must be something important, even dolphins sleep.
>>Since they have no breathing reflex,
>>they have developed the unusual capacit to sleep one hemisphere at a time
>>(Mukhmetov et al. Sleep Mechanisms 1984).
>>Only warm blooded animals (Birds and Mammals) exhibit REM sleep patterns.
>>Thus REM is of recent phylogenetic origin and
>>may have a different function than that which sleep originally evolved for.
>>
>>If anybody knows anything about what sleep is, why it evolved, its
>>evolutionary implications, or what it does, please let me know.
>>What I really need are good, relevant journal articles.

Our Web site is completely devoted to the study of sleep particularly REM
sleep. You will find a complete database of all the articles (with their
abstract) published by our sleep lab since 1956. In addition, we implanted
hypertext version of the famous conference of Pr. JOUVET: THE NATURAL
HISTORY OF DREAMS.
Our address is http://ura1195-6.univ-lyon1.fr

Laboratoire de Médecine Expérimentale,
Tel : (33) 78 77 71 23