Halothane delivery in rats.

Scott A Oakman oakma001 at maroon.tc.umn.edu
Thu Feb 1 10:45:53 EST 1996

>dazieg at wilmington.net wrote:
>: Has anyone any experience with Halothane delivery in laboratory rats?
>: Our goal is to chronically deliver the anesthetic while a stereotaxic
>: procedure is performed.  We do not wish to perform a tracheotomy to
>: intubate, we want a fast recovery from the procedure.

I've seen a couple of examples of creative "jury-rigging" that work
well--basically using a gas mask or gas chamber arrangement to put the
rat down so you can install him in the stereotax, then maintaining
aneasthesia via a Tygon or latex tube which terminates in the area
around the rat's nose.  You can use parafilm or a large syringe or cut
plastic bottle to make a little gas mask.  We also do ours in a fume
hood, to minimize our exposure to the halothane.

Good luck.