Best schools

Paul Bush paul at phy.ucsf.edu
Fri Feb 2 14:53:25 EST 1996

In article <stephan-3001960143180001 at modem0-g.lifesci.ucla.edu>, stephan at ucla.edu (Stephan Anagnostaras) writes:
|> In article <4ee827$gmk at nuke.csu.net>, rrobles5 at calstatela.edu (Ronnie
|> Robles) wrote:
|>
|> > Which are the best graduate schools in Cognitive Neuroscience?  Does
|> > UCSD or USC rank amoung them?
|>
|> I would rank UCSD as the best in cognitive neuroscience. This is simply
|> because they have the best collection of cognitive neuroscientists and
|> the largest.  The only graduate program which has good access to all of

Yes, the very large faculty at UCSD is a very big plus for grad school there.

|> them is the Interdepartmental Neuroscience program. Some work in the VA,
|> some in the med center, some in Cognitive Science, some at Salk, etc,
|> so going thru a department is a bad option there; so unfortunately,
|> if you dont have a good biology background it is a bad program for you.

This isn't true. You can enter Congnitive Science directly, and still work with
all these people. If you don't have a biology background that would be a better
option for you than Neuroscience. Cog Sci also has a much more structured program
(more classes, project requirements, etc) cos it is an independent department.

|> Some of the people working there you would be interested in would be
|> (off the top of my head)
|>
|> Larry Squire
|> Stuart Zola-Morgan
|> Marta Kutas
|> Helen Neville

She has moved to U Oregon at Eugene.

|> Nelson Butters
|> Steve Hillyard
|>
|> That's all that comes to my head right now. There is also the William's
|> syndrome lady I can't remember her name right now, though (sigh), and
|> several others.

Ursula Bellugi. Basically, there are so many faculty at UCSD that you can do
pretty much any aspect of Neuroscience/Cognitive Neuroscince there.

|> very small (UCSD Neurosci usually takes about 30 or so if I remember
|> right). Of course if you get in there, funding is not a problem.

No, UCSD Neuroscience usually takes about 10 per year. And I wouldn't say funding
is not a problem once you get in, though the situation is a lot better than at
many other places.

|> STEPHAN ANAGNOSTARAS                   UCLA BEHAVIORAL NEUROSCIENCE
|> STEPHAN at UCLA.EDU

Paul