Best schools

Stephan Anagnostaras stephan at ucla.edu
Sat Feb 3 16:21:10 EST 1996

In article <leipzjn9-030296141227 at rts0101.ppp.wfu.edu>, leipzjn9 at wfu.edu
(Jeremy Leipzig) wrote:

> How are the other California schools - Stanford, Berkeley, UCDavis, UCSF,
> etc...
> Are these more oriented toward traditional neurobiology or do they also
> cater towards behavioral/cognitive neuroscience?
> --
> Jeremy Leipzig

Lots of other schools in CA have lots of cognitive neuroscience stuff going on.
Unfortunately, as is the case in many places, many of the cognitive
Neuroscientists are MDs in the medical schools and don't take many (or
any) graduate students. Many are also only available thru Neuroscience
IDP programs, which are at times obscure, poorly funded, and many are
being cut-back; in any case, lots of other CA schools have this kind of
stuff going on, e.g:

UCLA (Psych Dept; Beh or Cog Neurosci programs; or Neuroscience IDP program)
      Lots of people at the Neuropsychiatric Institute (most dont take grads)
UCSD lots of people, etc. as mentioned before
UCI  people in the medical school doing MRI etc
USC some people in Psycch dept; lots of people in the medical school
Stanford mostly people in the medical school
UC Davis - Neuroscience IDP program; headed by Gazzaniga, but not for
            long, since he is leaving again
UC Berkeley - Not sure : anyone know?
UCSF - people in the medical school

Most of the California schools are modern in the sense of cognitive
psychology (probably too many cognitive psychologists if you ask me);
likewise, many are topheavy with learning theorists from the 60s and 70s;
most of these are all doing behavioral neuroscience now, because there is
no money for pure learning experiments.  Likewise, many cognitive psychologists
are doing collaborations, etc with neurologists (primarily because of
great interest expressed by neurologists, neurosurgeons, etc.)
Of course, there are huge numbers of regular neuroscientists,
especially at UCSD and UCLA. Most are doing mol bio however...

Cheers
Stephan

--
STEPHAN ANAGNOSTARAS                   UCLA BEHAVIORAL NEUROSCIENCE
STEPHAN at UCLA.EDU