Best schools

Dave Smith dave_smith at qm.salk.edu
Mon Feb 5 11:45:40 EST 1996

Neal Prakash <eamg061 at taurus.oac.uci.edu> wrote:
>Hi Jeremy,
>
>I'm not sure what makes Stephan an expert at what goes on at other
>schools, but his summary of UCI is WAY OUT OF LINE! Since I don't go to
>the other schools I don't feel qualified to comment about them, since I
>am an MD/PhD student at UCI I will comment about UCI.

I agree here!  As importantly, I think that he missed a really important
point.

The original question was: which are the best schools for cognitive
neuroscience?  The person asking the question needs to consider what
issues he/she is interested in studying and at what level (e.g., fMRI
vs. neurotransmitter systems).  In addition, there also needs to be some
consideration of techniques and methods for approaching those issues.
Then that person should look to find out where there are good people
studying those issues at that level using those techniques.

It is probably a mistake to look at the entire department, much less an
entire school.

As Neal says, UCI is very strong and has some outstanding people.  But
there are also good people at other schools.

Dave Smith
Neuroscience PhD Program
Department of Neurosciences
School of Medicine