BSTc region of brain

Jim Kohl jkohl at vegas.infi.net
Sun Feb 4 18:49:42 EST 1996

In article <t_marcha-0402961337380001 at ppp7.psych.ucsb.edu>,
t_marcha at psych.ucsb.edu says...

>Here's the reference and the abstract.
>
>Zhou JN; Hofman MA; Gooren LJ; Swaab DF.
>A sex difference in the human brain and its relation to transsexuality
>Nature, 1995 Nov 2, 378(6552):68-70.
>UI:  96061003)

exerpt from the abstract:

>Our study is the first to show a female brain structure in genetically
>male transsexuals and supports the hypothesis that gender identity
>develops as a result of an interaction between the developing brain and
>sex hormones.

Regarding my earlier post and cross-species comparisons. Mammalian
pheromones appear to activate genes in gonadotropin-releasing hormone
(GnRH) neurosecretory neurons. In mammals, including humans, alterations
in hypothalamic GnRH pulse frequency effect gonadotropin (LH/FSH)
ratios, which influence steroidogenesis and thus apoptosis,
synaptolysis, and synaptogenesis. The likelihood that human pheromones
may influence the size of the BSTc via this developmental process,
suggests that human pheromones may be involved in the development of
gender identity.

Your comments are invited,

Jim Kohl