Cat scratch

WB Thomas Thomas.William at HOSPITAL.VET.UTK.EDU
Sat Feb 10 13:29:22 EST 1996

Sandra L Wegert <sandraw at U.Arizona.EDU> wrote:

>...  I do wonder what the illness caused by
> Toxoplasmosis is called though.  Or don't humans contract the
> disease?  Another reason to cook your steaks "well-done", eh?

The organism is Toxoplasma gondii, the disease is toxoplasmosis.
Yes, people can contract the disease. Congenital infection can cause
encephalitis and chorioretinitis. Infection in adults is usually
asymptomatic or results in a mild "flu"-like illness. In
immunocompromised patients, however, infection can cause a
granulomatous encephalomyelitis.