glial cells, plasticity, and learning

tcomery tcomery at s.psych.uiuc.edu
Tue Feb 13 10:05:26 EST 1996

Here are some of our more labs more recent glial plasticity papers, this
should provide a reasonably good start:

Hawrylak, H. and Greenough, W.T. (1995). Monocular deprivation alters
the morphology of glial fibrillary acidic protein-immunoreacitive
astrocytes in the rat visual cortex. Brain Research, 683, 187-199.

Jones, T.A., Hawrylak, N., and Greenough, W.T. Rapid changes in GFAP
immunoreactive astrocytes in rats reared in a complex environment.
Psychoneuroendocrinology, in press.

Jones, T.A. and Greenough, W.T. Ultrastructural evidence for increased
contact between astrocytes and synapses in rats reared in a complex
environment. Neurobiology of Learning and Memory, 65, 48-56.

Anderson, B.J., Li, X., Alcantara, A.A., Isaacs, K.R., Black, J.E. and
Greenough, W.T. Glial hypertrophy is associated with synaptogenesis
following motor-skill learning, but not with angiogenesis following
exercise. GLIA, 11:73-80, 1994.

Chang, F.-L., Hawrylak, N. and Greenough, W.T.  Astrocytic and synaptic
response to kndling in hippocampal subfield CA1. I. Synaptogenesis in
response to kindling in vitro. Brain Research, 603, 302-308.

Hawrylak, N., Chang, F.-L. and Greenough, W.T. Astrocytic and synaptic
respnse to kindling in hippocampal subfield CA1. II. Synaptogenesis and
astrocytic process increases to in vivo kindling. Brain Research 603,
309-316.

Sirevaag, A.M. and Greenough, W.T. Plasticity of GFAP-immunoreactive
astrocyte size and number in visual cortex of rats reared in complex
environments. Brain Research, 540, 273-278.

I hope this helps,
	Tom Comery

p.s. A number of references to our labs most recent publications can be
found on:

http://soma.npa.uiuc.edu/labs/greenough/home.html