References for dependencies in statistics of spike trains?

kevin k-mckenna at nwu.edu
Tue Feb 13 11:09:48 EST 1996

In article <4fq7a2$g49 at homer.cs.unc.edu>, schmitt at cs.unc.edu (Charles
Schmitt) wrote:

> Can anyone suggest what would be good review articles or book (chapters)
> describing how measured postsynaptic spike trains have been observed
> to be dependent on presynaptic spike trains.  What I'm searching for
> is to strengthen my knowledge of what statistical measures of spike trains,
> such as mean frequency, inter-spike interval, etc..., have been used
> to describe postsynaptic spike trains and how these statistics have any
> observed dependency on the same presynaptic statistics.   I'm particularly
> interested in such observed dependencies in visual cortex.

A good place to start is E.M. Glaser and D.S. Ruchin, Principles of
Neurobiological Signal Analysis, Academic Press, 1976. See especially
Chapters 6 and 7. The discussion directly addresses your questions about
the statistical analysis of spike trains. Some of the examples are taken
from the visual cortex.  You might also look at the work of G.L. Gerstein,
D.H. Perkel and G.P. Moore from the '60s and '70s. These are classics in
the statistical description of spike trains.