Extensor Palsy - Can anybody help us please?

Fiona Paterson patfi at wave.co.nz
Tue Feb 13 05:19:22 EST 1996

Hello people, my name's Paul. My fiancee Fiona recently(14 Dec 95)
had a car accident in which she broke her humerus midspan damaging
the radial nerve.This has caused a palsey in the Extensor muscle
group.To date there has been no muscle activity. We have been told
that the only option left open to us is a tendon transplant
operation. We are trying Tens and Faradic stimulation to the
muscle groups to help prevent atrophy and also in the hope of
stimulating the nerve.  There also seems to be
 a lot of difference of opinion as to the ability of the nerve to
grow back. We feel that if we could keep the muscle group
 stimulated we can afford to wait for the nerve to regrow.
 We would also like to know if there is a way to stimulate the
nerve directly below the break to activate the muscles.

We would dearly like to here from anybody who can direct us to any
information or advise us as to options or procedures other than
the tendon transplant operation.Please post reply or respond in
person to patfi at wave.co.nz