Arcuate fasciculus

Sydney M Lamb smlamb at OWLNET.RICE.EDU
Fri Feb 16 11:53:33 EST 1996

A couple of weeks ago I sent out an inquiry on the arcuate fasciculus ---
which connects Wernicke's area to Broca's area.  I got exactly zero
literature, and the most significant thing I have found is this
interesting but frustrating statement by H. Lee Seldon, in Cerebral Cortex,
Vol. 4 (1985, p. 300):

	The physically most extensive and macroscopically most obvious
	projection from the sensory language region is the arcuate
	fasciculus, which leads to area 44 (FCB or Broca's area).
	In spite of its importance, little is known about the fasciculus,
	such as the number of axons it contains or whether it is a one-way
	or reciprocal projection.

Well, these are exactly the two things I was asking about.

But, look, I don't need an accurate count --- just an order of magnitude
will do.  Are we talking about thousands, or tens of thousands, or
hundreds or thousands?  Or what about the size?  Does anyone have any
information about its diameter?  That would allow us to get a pretty good
estimate.

Seldon goes on to say that the fasciculus is likely to be two-directional,
based on indirect evidence, an inference with which I agree.  But does
anyone out there have any direct evidence?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help!

If anyone wants to know why these questions are important, just ask and I
will be glad to respond.

---Sydney Lamb
   Linguistics and Cognitive Science
   Rice University