Arcuate fasciculus

Paul Bush paul at phy.ucsf.edu
Mon Feb 19 15:15:34 EST 1996

In article <Pine.SUN.3.91.960216103320.3690C-100000 at great-gray.owlnet.rice.edu>, smlamb at OWLNET.RICE.EDU (Sydney M Lamb) writes:

|> A couple of weeks ago I sent out an inquiry on the arcuate fasciculus ---
|> which connects Wernicke's area to Broca's area.  I got exactly zero

Try this one:

Petrides M; Pandya DN . Association fiber pathways to the frontal cortex from
the superior temporal region in the rhesus monkey. Journal of Comparative
Neurology, 1988 Jul 1, 273(1):52-66.

The problem with trying to find numbers of fibres is that most of these types of
studies are done in animals. Since this structure is involved in spoken language,
which animals don't have, there may be a big difference in number of fibres and
even structure between humans and animals. Your best bet maybe is to look in human
neuroanatomy texts and try to estimate number of fibres from the size of the
tract.

I would guess that the connection is reciprocal, since most inter-area
projections within cortex that have been looked at (eg Van Essen) seem to be.

Paul