Perception of Gloss and Matt reflection

Peter Robinson Peter at oimsdnp.demon.co.uk
Tue Feb 20 03:38:06 EST 1996

In article: <824752552.8119 at dorrell.demon.co.uk>  p at dorrell.demon.co.uk (Philip
Dorrell) writes:

> If an object reflects light by Matt reflection, then the colour and intensity
> of light coming from a given point on the surface of the object is roughly
> independent of the direction it is being seen from.
>
> If it reflects light by Gloss reflection, then it depends both on the
> direction it is being seen from and on the position of the light source.
>
> Humans can certainly perceive the 3-D shapes of objects whichever of these
> two sorts of reflection is involved. But I imagine that the processing
> involved must be different in each case, and may even involve distinct areas
> of the brain (presumably in the visual cortex).

Pardon???

Seeing in 3D is solely dependant on the position of the eyes (two minimum)
relative to the subject and each other. It's true that with a glossy surface and
directional lighting that the two eyes may see a slightly different image, but this
doesn't effect how you see 3D. In fact, the eyes need a different image to form the
3D image. If you have a large plain matt surface with even lighting, then you might
lose the 3D capability all together because there is no difference in the image
received by each eye.

I think you've got a basic misunderstanding of the princples of 3D.

--
Peter

Peter at oimsdnp.demon.co.uk
Peter.Robinson at oxinst.co.uk