basal ganglia

Helmut Wicht wicht at em.uni-frankfurt.de
Wed Feb 21 13:05:51 EST 1996

> In Article<4gci8p$ime at grapool30.rz.uni-frankfurt.de>,
> > > I have a quick question, and I'm hoping someone can respond to me via
>
> > > email at stclair at cris.com.  Can the basal ganglia be seen on gross
> > > dissection?  How easily?   Thanks!
> > > Connie
> > Get real, get a textbook, and get questions like those off the net.
> Greetings from human gross anatomy!
> > Helmut
>
> The internal capsule and the relation to the two major nuclei is easily
> visible (i.c. is not part of the complex).  As you may have encountered,
> there are descrepancies in the brain areas included as "the" basal
> ganglia.  These differences reflect anatomy versus function.  Although
> much of this neuroanatomy is visible, you do not typicallly hear the
> phrase "Human Gross Neuroanatomy" in the States.  Dissection of the brain
> is done in courses of "Human Neuroanatomy."  Human Gross Anatomy usually
> passes the baton at the interface of skull foramina and meninges.
>
> With the current wave of "relevance" sweeping the country (states), the
> basal ganglia are a great object of study.  There is a wealth of
> information pertaining to basic research and clinical applications.

Sorry, I overreacted like the typical german academic asshole. But I was
simply apalled by the nature of this question which - to me - sounded
like "Does the brain reside in the head? Any tentative answer welcome!"
I mean, anatomists have been busting their asses since hundreds of years
(in the case of the basal ganglia since Willis (17th century) to whom we owe
the first description) and up comes a current wave of "relevance" which,
similar to the discussion about melatonin, is powered by sheer ignorance.
Welcome to the 21st century and the Informationsuperhighway! Any dictionary
would have done the job.