Night Terrors

nancy nlamb at ucla.edu
Tue Feb 20 23:51:28 EST 1996

Night terrors do not have anything to do with seizures (as long as you were
diagnosed correctly with n.terrors).  Night terrors are partial arousals
from non-REM sleep (as opposed to nightmares, which occur during REM
sleep). If a person cannot "get to the source" of their nightmares/terrors
(through addressing stessors and psychosocial life problems) then this is
commonly treated with benzodiazepines, such as Klonopin, (which is similar
to Valium).  This probably acts just by keeping you sedated enough so that
you don't actually wake up during these unpleasant dreams.  Look for Dr.
Dement's textbook on sleep med. for detailed discussion.

        -Nancy