relationship between Dia and conduction Velocity

Thomas Chimento chimento at neuron.arc.nasa.gov
Thu Feb 22 13:35:30 EST 1996

In article <4faqco$4ak at castle.nando.net>, "Thomas D. Wason"
<wason at nando.net> wrote:

> For starters try:
> Gillespie, M.J., & Stein, R.B. (1983).  Relationship between axon
diameter, myelin thickness
> and conduction velocity during atropy of mammalian peripheral nerves.
Brain Res. 2591, 41-56.

> Waxman, S.G. (1980).  Determinants of conduction velocity in myelinated
nerve fibers.  Muscle
> Nerve 3(2), 141-150.

>   Thomas D. Wason, Ph.D.
>   wason at nando.net                     919.834.9842
>
> rehabdr at soback.kornet.nm.kr (Dong-Sik Park) wrote:
> >Samit <sc203 at cus.cam.ac.uk> wrote:
> >
> >>Does anyone know about the realtionship between the external/ internal
> >>diameter and the conduction velocity of a myelinated nerve.
> >>Could you mail me the info or atleast point me in the right direction.
> >>Thanks
> >>Samit

See also:

Buchthal, F. and Rosenfalck, A. (1966) Evoked action potentials and conduction
velocity in human sensory nerves. Brain Res. 3, 1-122. (special edition)

also various work by A.S. Paintal during the 1960s some in J. Physiology.

I think there was someone at Stanford during the 1980s doing models of compound
action potentials that used the data from individual fibers to
(re)construct the CAP.
He did lots of nice work and I'm sorry I cant remember his name.

Thomas

Thomas Chimento                 chimento at neuron.arc.nasa.gov
                        Keep it simple, do it right.