Anyone know the method for marking (steel) electrode site electrochemically (Prussian Blue?)?

David Parsons dparsons at med.unc.edu
Fri Feb 23 10:28:44 EST 1996

Howdy/g'day,

I want to mark an extracellular recording site at the end of an experiment via
elctrochemical deposition of Fe ions from the tip of the elctrode (a fine
stainless-steel).

In my old neurobiology days I recall this was a fairly standard method, but I can't
seem to bring up any references / handbooks that detail the procedures.  I'm
interested in general current settings for 'el zappo' and well as gentle
(structure-preserving) markings, and the make up and protocols for developing the
colour (was it with K ferricyanide?, a Prussion blue reaction I think).

Also, can it be done in both whole mounts (cleared or not) and sections?

Any tips, pointers welcomed.

Thanks,