Anyone know the method for marking (steel) electrode site electrochemically (Prussian Blue?)?

Brian Scott bscott at spine.med.utoronto.ca
Fri Feb 23 15:16:22 EST 1996

In article <4gkmfc$t9f at bigblue.oit.unc.edu>,
David Parsons  <dparsons at med.unc.edu> wrote:
>Howdy/g'day,
>
>I want to mark an extracellular recording site at the end of an experiment
> via
>elctrochemical deposition of Fe ions from the tip of the elctrode (a fine
>stainless-steel).

[stuff deleted]

>colour (was it with K ferricyanide?, a Prussion blue reaction I think).

We've done electrical stimulation in rat through chronically implanted
stainless steel electrodes and lesioned with about 400 - 800 uA for 10 sec.
This is probably much higher than you'd like to use though.  To see the
placement we used a solution of K-Ferrocyanide, K-Ferricyanide and some
kind of acid.

I can't remember the details right now but I'll get a reference
for you.  It was in a text written by Gallistel on electrophysiological
methods I think.
This was added to the perfusate (formalin) and simply perfused
intra-cardially.  The site shows up as a bright blue-green dot.  It's pretty
nifty.  We used to have trouble locating lesion sites near the edge of the
brain even at such high currents but this made it much easier.

>Also, can it be done in both whole mounts (cleared or not) and sections?

I believe it could easily be done in both.

Brian

Brian Scott                   | "They are in you and in me; they created us,
bscott at spine.med.utoronto.ca  |  body and mind; and their preservation is
Department of Physiology      |  the ultimate rationale for our existence."
University of Toronto, Canada |         - Richard Dawkins (The Selfish Gene)