basal ganglia

aloisia schmid a-schmi at ux1.cso.uiuc.edu
Sat Feb 24 17:53:50 EST 1996

In article <NEWTNews.824969436.7444.lae2 at psu.edu>, "Loren A. Evey"
<lae2 at psu.edu> wrote:
clinical applications.

> > Sorry, I overreacted like the typical german academic asshole. But I was
> > simply apalled by the nature of this question which - to me - sounded
> > like "Does the brain reside in the head? Any tentative answer welcome!"
> > I mean, anatomists have been busting their asses since hundreds of years
> > (in the case of the basal ganglia since Willis (17th century) to whom
we owe

> > the first description) and up comes a current wave of "relevance" which,
> > similar to the discussion about melatonin, is powered by sheer ignorance.
> > Welcome to the 21st century and the Informationsuperhighway! Any dictionary
> > would have done the job.
> >
> I agree with most of what you say.  Nevertheless, my Webster's is a little
> light on macroscopic examination of the basal ganglia.  I have no
knowledge of
> the the person who wrote the original posting.  I considered that her tax
> dollars could be contributing to my salary.  I considered that she might be
> someone crazy enough to gamble on pursuing graduate education.  Thus, I
> thought a little public relations might be in order.  Who knows, she might
> become the next Aberta Einstein.

Aside from all of these (Loren's)  excellent reasons for not over-reacting
like the typical asshole german academic, there is something to be said
for simple common courtesy.  To your (helmit's)  credit you did recognize
the rudebess of over-reacting, but why is it necessary to repeat the
insult by explaining your reasons for it?  In the future, quit while you
are ahead.

--
Aloisia Schmid
Howard Huges Medical Institute/Morrill Hall
Email: A-schmi at ux1.cso.uiuc.edu