BDNF in Parkinson's

David Stout dstout at mail.nuc.ucla.edu
Mon Feb 26 19:57:26 EST 1996

In article <DnEFn6.Lpv at murdoch.acc.Virginia.EDU>,
dsc9w at avery.med.Virginia.EDU (David Cassarino) wrote:

> I have read that BDNF has been shown in cell culture and animal
> experiments to protect substantia nigra neurons from death (due
> to MPTP, OHDA, etc).
> I was wondering if there have been any clinical trials of BDNF
> in PD (or Alzheimer's) patients (I tried looking for this on
> medline but found little).

Amgen is working on GDNF (glial derived). We had a presentation of their
rat and monkey data last week in out pharmacology seminar. They are about
to go to preclinical trials. So far the results look promising. GDNF does
not protect cells from death, rather it increases the neuronal density
(sprouting perhaps?) and function. The data showed considerable 5HT stain
recovery and behavioral recovery after GDNF injections following MPTP.
Obviously Amgen is pitching this towards Parkinson's patients.

David Stout
UCLA Pharmacology