Neuronal Tracing dyes

Heather Etchevers hcorbett at garnet.berkeley.edu
Tue Feb 27 20:46:32 EST 1996

<djab at soton.ac.uk> writes:

> >I am currently trying to label invertebrate neurones with various
> >dyes-- DiA, DiO, DiQ, in addition to fluorescein have all been
> >mentioned as possible candidates.  Are there other probes also??

I'm not sure how you are labelling - by injection, by lipophilic membrane
diffusion - but biocytin is a nice marker that works in invertebrate
(crayfish) tissue, and Lucifer yellow is a fantastic dye fill for leech
neurons, going out to the very last process. I've only ever used Mol.
Probes, sorry. I think there is rhodaminated dextran which can be used to
mark neurons as well btu I don't know how it's done.

Cheers,
Heather