sexual attraction

Ron Blue rcb1 at LEX.LCCC.EDU
Wed Feb 28 21:54:11 EST 1996

Jim,
My understanding is that strong sexual attraction is related to inverse
odors associated with the immune system and the gene markers of the person
doing the smelling.  This is to maximize gene mixing.

At first I did not get the connection to correlational opponent processing.
But lets see if you agree with the connection.  Imagine the females odor
generated a simple sine wavelet stimulus.  She then would prefer a male
who's odor was phase shifted by one cycle.  So that continual stimulation is
occurring in the upper range of the olifaction and the bottom range of
the stimulation.

A unfavorable odor would increase the in phase wavelets to abnormally
high signal gains at all points in the wavelet.  So the irritation
would force a female toward another male.

The correlational opponent process is that all signals are at balance or
zero for a mixed component wavelet.  Which we interpret as pleasure.

Pain must therefore mean that two wavelets are concordant for every data
point.