PNI: sexual attraction

Shan s_bentz at hamlet.uncg.edu
Thu Feb 29 02:40:02 EST 1996

Hmmm, if I remember correctly, I saw an article in Discover magazine (I
know, I know... it's not the most prestigious journal out there...) about
this fellow by the name of Claus Wedekind.  Seems that Wedekind has gone
about demonstrating that in mammals (yes, humans too!), females prefer
mates with MHC (Major Histocompatibility Complex, or some such
monstrosity of a name).  This is kinda like an immune system
"fingerprint", in that no two people or mice or whatever have the same
one(s).  I do little justice to the whole picture painted by Wedekind.
Anyway, I hope even the faintest beam of light has been thus cast on the
issue...

  =========s. c. bentz====http://www.uncg.edu:80/~s_bentz/shan.html=========
	"When we regard every production of nature as one which has had
	a history... how far more interesting, I speak from experience,
	will the study of natural history become!"
					--Charles Darwin,
				     _On the Origin of Species_
			i  n  v  e  n  i  e  t  i  s