The Enshrinement of Mentifex AI

Stephen Will Tanner tanner at math.wisc.edu
Fri Dec 19 21:24:08 EST 1997

Nifty website.  Not as fun as Alex Chiu's, but a close second.

These people are reason enough to put a NO USER-SERVICABLE PARTS INSIDE
sticker on your skull.

I understood everything up to this point:

       /^^^^^^^^^^^\ concept-fibers ganged together as /^^^^^^^^^^^\
      /  -infancy-  \ 3 mini-grids of semantic memory /  -infancy-  \
     |               | including "grandmother" cells |               |
     | episodic      |  * $ H-----H * * H $ H * H $  | episodic      |
     | visual        |  * $ H $ * H *-* H $ H * H $  | auditory      |
     | memory        |  * $ H $ * H * * H $-------$  | memory        |
     | recognitions  |  * $---$ * H * * H $ H * H $  | activations   |
     |      /------- |  * $ H $ * H-------------H $  | at            |
     |      |        |  * $ H $-----------$ H * H $  | multiple      |
     |      +------- |  * $ H $ * H * * H---H * H $  | random        |
     |      |        |  *-------* H * * H $ H * H $  | intervals     |
     |      |        |  * $ H $ * H *-* H $ H * H $  | such          |
     |      +------- |  * $ H---------------H * H $  | as:           |
     |   ___|___     |  * $ H $ * H *---------* H $  |    ________   |
     |  /image  \    |  * $ H $ *---* * H $ H * H $  |   / stored \  |
     | / percept \---|------H $ * H * * H $ H * H----|--/ H-e-l-e-n\ |
     | \ of Helen/   |  * $ H $ * H * * H $ H * H $  |  \ phonemes / |
     |  \_______/    |  * $ H $ * H * * H $ H * H $  |   \________/  |
     |               |                               |               |
     |  -maturity-   | language ________ structures  |  -maturity-   |
     |      /--------|-------\ / syntax \            |               |
     |      |  recog-|nition | \________/------------|------------\  |
     |   ___|___     |       |    |flush-vector      |    ______  |  |
     |  /image  \    |    ___V____V___  word-fetch   |   /      \ |  |
     | / percept \---|---/ conceptual \--------------|--/ stored \|  |
     | \ engrams /   |   \ mini-grids / for thinking |  \ words  /   |
     |  \_______/    |    \__________/  in language  |   \______/    |

I keep landing on the "syntax" square and losing a turn.  I got two
hotels on a conceptual mini-grid, but the mass of troops in Congo and
Image Percept Engrams fought me to a standstill.  I really like the
Parchisi-style rule that lets me send the opponent back to the H-e-l-e-n
phonemes.  And getting two-face to do the cover art was a real coup!
I think I'm in good shape, since I just got a flush-vector and a Triple
Word Score.

But what's the object of the game?

I know that I have to find Ayn Rand in the Maze of the Dollar, but I keep
getting eaten by the Giant H's.  Also, the wargame hexes aren't regular,
they all have kind of wonky shapes (sort of like Crispy Bacon Snack Crackers,
which are pretty good even if they are a little orange). Am I missing
gamepieces?

--
Stephen Tanner (tanner at math.wisc.edu)