How amphetamines work in the brain?

Hodunwun hodunwun at aol.com
Sun Dec 28 02:15:34 EST 1997

Amphetamines do not mimic neurotransmitters.  What they do in part is block the
reuptake of norepinephrine and dopamine in different proportions depending on
the type of amphetamine.  In addition, some (like methamphetamine) also
increase the synthesis of these monoamine squeezing more through the axon.
Without the reuptake working, these neurotransmitters stay in the synaptic gap
repeatedly activating their coresponding receptor sites.  The effect on
serotonin I'm not sure of although I don't think there is a significant effect
on it. The action of seretonin,  like many other Nt's, depends on it location
of action.  In the Limbic area, affects mood modulation and perception as it
relates to thylamic areas.   There is so much research going on with these
peptides that even what I'm sending you now may be updated.  As for their
chemical structure, I can't help you.   But I'm sure there is someone out there
who can.  Hope this has been helpful.  - hodunwun