IUBio

neuromorphometry

Roberto Marcondes Cesar Junior pinda at ifqsc.sc.usp.br
Thu Jul 24 19:27:55 EST 1997

15th July 1997

Dear Newsgroup Administrator,

I would be very grateful if you could disseminate the message
below in your newsgroup.

I thank you in advance for your collaboration.
Yours sincerely,  Luciano da F. Costa

15th July 1997

Dear Friends,

Our group has been involved with neural morphometry and modeling
using image analysis techniques and would dearly appreciate
to know about the following possibilities:

1. Obtaining bitmap or traced (e.g. Eutectic) representations
   of neural cells;

2. Receiving histological slides containing neural cells
   marked for dendritic arborizations;

3. Receiving reprints of works dealing on neuromorphometry
   and neural modeling.

The materials in 1 and 2 would be used for validating our
techniques, in such a way that it would also be nice if we
were allowed to include some of these data in eventual
publications.

In addition to fully acknowledging the source of every
data, we also have to offer possibilities for collaboration.
Our work include analysis of spatial coverage through
fractal dimensions, normal fields, curvature, wavelets, and
other new measures; multiscale representation and characterization
of neural cells; growing of 2D and 3D neural cells (by computer
graphics and computer theoretical approaches); classification
of neural cells by using clustering, statistics, and neural
networks; linear an non-linear modeling and simulation of neural
structures; automatic and assisted extraction of dendrograms;
and Windows'95-based applicatives for visual inspection of
micrographs.

We would also be glad to supply reprints of the publications
below.  Please use the number within "[]" in your request, and
be limited to about half-a-dozen items, since we rely on limited
resources.

We thank you in advance for your attention.

Yours ever,

Luciano da Fontoura Costa
  Coordinator - Cybernetic Vision Research Group
  DFI-IFSC,  University of Sao Paulo,
  Caixa Postal 369,
  Sao Carlos, SP
  13560-970     Brazil
  FAX: +55 162 71 3616
  e-mail:  luciano at ifqsc.sc.usp.br

=================

[1]  A. G. Campos, L. da F. Costa and R. Koberle.
     Wavelet Boundary Descriptors,
     IASTED International Confererence on Systems and Control,
     Lugano, Switzerland, June 1994, pp. 122.

[2]  L. da F. Costa
     On Jumping Spiders and Hough Transforms.
     IASTED International Conference on Systems andControl,
     Lugano, Switzerland, June 1994, pp. 138-141.

[3]  L. da F. Costa
     Topographical maps of orientation specifity.
     Biological Cybernetics, 71:537-546, Oct 1994.

[4]  L. da F. Costa.
     A spatially-congruent model for the striate visual cortex.
     SPIE Conference on Human Vision, Visual Processing, and
     Digital Display V,
     San Jose, Ca, Feb. 1994, pp. 18-27.

[5]  L. da F. Costa
     Computer vision based morphometric characterization of neural
     cell.  Review of Scientifific Instruments, American Institute
     of Physics, 66(7):3770-3773, 1994.
[6] L. da F. Costa and V. O. Roda and R. Koberle
     A Biologically-Inspired System for Visual Pattern Recognition.
     IEEE International Symposium on Industrial Electronics, Santiago,
     Chile, May 1994.

[7] R. M. C. Junior and L. da F. Costa.
     Piecewise linear segmentation of digital contours in O(N. LogN)
through
     a technique based on effective digital curvature estimation.
Journal of
     Real-Time Imaging, 1:409-17, 1995.

[8] L. da F. Costa.
    Small camera movements as a means of reducing the amount
    of broken and false detected lines in Hough transform.
    Journal of Real-Time Imaging, 2:181-185, 1996.

[9]  R. M. C. Junior and L. da F. Costa.
     Shape characterization in natural scales by using the multiscale
     bending energy.  In:  International Conference on Pattern
    Recognition, Vienna, 1996.

[10] R. M. C. Junior and L. da F. Costa.
     Shape characterization by using the Gabor transform.  IEEE
Digigital
     Signal Processing Workshop, pp. 215-218, Loen, 1996,

[11] J. P. Antoine; D. Barache; R. M. C. Junior and L. da F. Costa
     Multiscale shape analysis using the coninuous wavelet transform,
     IEEE International Conference on Image Processing, Lausanne,
     1996.

[12] R. M. C. Junior and L. da F. Costa.
     Towards effective planar shape representation with multiscale
      digital curvature analysis based on signal processing techniques.
     Pattern Recognition, 29(9):1559-69, 1996.

[13]  R. C. Coelho and L. da F. Costa.
     On theApplication of the Bouligand-Minkowski Fractal
     Dimension for Shape Caracterization.
     Applied Signal Processing - at press.

[14]  R. M. C. Junior and L. da F. Costa
     The application and assessment of multiscale bending energy
     for morphometric characterization of neural cells.
     Review of Scientific Instruments 68 (5): 2177-2186, 1997.

[15]  J. P. Antoine, D. Barache, R. M. C. Junior and L. da F. Costa.
     Two-dimensional shape characterization using the wavelet transform.
     Signal Processing (accepted).

[16] R. C. Coelho e L. da F. Costa - Morphologically Realistic Neural
Netoworks,
     IEEE International Conference on Complex Computer Systems, Como,
     Italy, Sep. 1997.

[17] R. M. C. Junior, R. C. Coelho and L. da F. Costa
    Automatic classification of retinal ganglion cells
    II WoWorkshop on Cybernetic Vision,
    Sao Carlos, SP, 9-11th Dec 1996 (at press).

END OF MESSAGE