Conscious Dreaming (glossary of the week)

Chris Clark cjc5 at ozemail.com.au
Thu Apr 1 02:39:49 EST 1999

> Conscious dream: A dream into which we retain the same Consciousness as we
>             have during the waking time.

Also more commonly known as 'lucid dreaming'. This is a fasinating area of dream
research. People are able to indicate to experimenters they are conscious they are
dreaming by moving there eyes back and forth a certain number of times (Hearne,
1978; LaBerge, 1986). One can become a 'lucid dreamer' using several techniques
such as occasionally questioning whether one is dreaming when fully conscious
during the day. This can certainly lead to advantages. One study showed that a
woman was able to create various sexual experiences in a lucid dream and
experienced real physiological orgasms (LaBerge, Greenleaf, & Kedzierski, 1983).

CC.