Extraterrestrials: A modern folklore

wetboy wetboy at shore.net
Thu Apr 1 17:11:56 EST 1999

No.  You're dead wrong here.  Do you always work so hard
to misunderstand English?

-- Wetboy

In sci.physics F. Frank LeFever <flefever at ix.netcom.com> wrote:
: In <xyqM2.505$eJ.93238 at news.shore.net> wetboy <wetboy at shore.net>
: writes:
:>
:>In sci.physics F. Frank LeFever <flefever at ix.netcom.com> wrote:
:>: In <qX4M2.350$eJ.70892 at news.shore.net> wetboy <wetboy at shore.net>
:>: writes:
:>: - - - - -(snip) - - - - - - - - ->
:>
:>:>You're just jealous because the aliens didn't choose
:>:>to land in your insignificant, second-rate country.
:>:>
:>:>-- Wetboy
:>
:>: I believe the word is "envious" (NOT "jealous").
:>
:>: F. LeFever
:>
:>Nope -- I meant "jealous".  Look it up.
:>
:>-- Wetboy

: Look it up in a thesaurus, which lumps words loosely together, or in a
: dictionary, which makes distinctions between words?

: Think of it: "The Lord thy God is a jealous God."

: Think of "a jealous husband".

: Think of what they have in common.

: Perhaps you did mean "jealous", if you meant that he felt an honor
: belonging to his country was usurped by another.

: I had thought that you meant that he wished his country had been
: treated to such a wonderful experience, in which case "envious" would
: be the correct word.

: Given the ambiguity of the bare statement, one cannot be sure which was
: your intent.  I am sensitized to mis-use of the word because it is so
: commonly mis-used, in contexts where the intent is clear and the choice
: is wrong; viz., "Oh, you have such a lovely hairdo! I'm so jealous!"

: Almost as annoying as "I'm anxious to see that movie!" (to which I
: always reply, "Don't worry, I won't let you see it."; whereas if he or
: she were EAGER to see the movie, I would not prevent it).

: F. LeFever