The Difficult Thing

ken collins kenpc at banet.net
Thu Apr 1 22:39:05 EST 1999

                      The "Difficult" Thing

When the "difficult" thing must be said, where does one begin?

When the "difficult" thing must be said, does it do any good to
"beat around the bush"?

Does it do any good to "point fingers" or assign "blame"?

Remember... it's the "difficult" thing that must be said.

"Difficult" things have, inherent within them, "pointing of
fingers", and "blame", enough.

That's why they're "difficult", isn't it so?

Yes, it is.

It's not that the "difficult" thing cannot be easily said.
Anything can be said as easily as
anything else. It's all just energy flow within the vocal
apparatus.

Then how is it "difficult" to say the "difficult" thing?

It's not in the saying.

It's in the way that the "difficult" thing evokes, within those
who "hear" it, the inability to
hear it.

Take "Yugoslavia", for instance... why is it "difficult" to say
to Milosevic, "Look here, these
folks whose homes you're burning, whose lives you're taking, and
who you're exiling from the
land of their birth, are human beings who've scratched out the
meager existences you've taken
from them through the toil of their hands. How can you take
everything from them?"

It's not difficult to say such.

What's "difficult" is "in the ears", not "the tongue".

Is there anyone who does not know, by virtue of their own
possession and experiencing of it,
that life is precious stuff?

No, everyone knows such, so that particular knowledge cannot be
what's "difficult"... everyone
knows that life is precious.

Turn it upside-down and inside-out and backward, though, and the
"difficulty" shows itself.

One knows one's own life is precious, but one cannot quite grasp
that every other life is just
as precious.

The "difficulty" arises in this interpersonal incommensruability
that, awkwardly, denies that
each life is as precious as any life.

It's difficult because there's no reality in the denial.

What's that you say, you'll take Jonas Salk and Louis Pasteur,
and leave Milosevic, "thank you
very much".

I get the gist of your point, but the "difficult" thing is that
you're wrong.

And the "difficult" thing is that the "difficult" thing is what
prevents you seeing that you're
wrong.

All of the "difficult" thing's "difficulty" arises in the simple
fact that Jonas Salk and Louis
Pasteur and Milosevic and you each became, through more-similar
than different neural
information processing dynamics, what they, or you, experienced.

Yet, the results are so different... Salk and Pasteur, and,
hopefully, you, saved lives...
Milosevic destroys lives... how can Salk, Pasteur and you have
arrived at your saving of lives
via the same neural dynamics through which Milosevic arrived at
his destroying of lives?

It's "easy"... folks become what they've experienced. Pasteur,
Salk and you experienced the one
thing, and Milosevic experienced the other thing (during the
iron-fist days of Soviet
occupation. (The neural dynamics are discussed in AoK. See, in
particular Appendices 4 and 8.))

Do you see the difficulty?

Milosevic experiences his life just as Pasteur, Salk and you have
experienced yours... you've
experienced what you've experienced, Pasteur experienced what he
experienced, Salk experienced
what he experienced, and Milosevic experienced what he
experienced.

And each looks at what's been born in his life, through what's
been experienced, and sees it as
being "good".

You only experience what Milosevic does as being "bad" because
you've experienced differently
from what Milosevic's experienced.

This's "difficult" to see because Milosevic has left such a long
and bloody trail of death and
destruction in his wake, while you and Pasteur and Salk have
saved so many lives.

It's the experiential incommensurability that makes it all so
"difficult". Because Milsoevic
has experienced differently from you and Salk and Pasteur, he
cannot see the difference between
his slaughering of lives as precious as his own and you and
Salk's and Pasteur's saving of
lives as precious as their, and your, own.

                                    The Difficult Thing

But look more closely. The wellspring of the "difficulty", in the
neural dynamics, has been
known for decades.

The "difficulty" is that you've "moved away from" it... denied it
applies to you... just as
Milosevic denies the evil in his slaughtering of lives as
precious as his own.

Why?

It's "easy"... your experience dictates that you will not hear.

The "difficulty" is in the neural interconnectedness that's
derived in what you've experienced.
The thought just doesn't fit into the neural networks to which
your experience has given birth.

It's exactly the same with Milosevic.

So, look and see, the "difficulty" is not in anything that we
are. It's in what's been given
birth in us through what we've experienced.

And the difficulty is that, through our own volitions, we allow
it its "Beastly" existence
within our flesh, which, because we do what we've experienced,
perpetuates it.

Don't look at Milosevic and say, "Savage". Look within and see
the savage that has, for so
long, acquiesced in the face savagery... in the face of the
"Beast".

... Now, why have I said these difficult things to you, instead
of to those who've actively
worked to prevent the coming forward of the Neuroscience which
underpins this discussion?

It's simple. I've hope that you are ready to hear.

Can you see there's no "finger-pointing" and no "blame" here?

There is none.

All that's here is my longing for folks to be free of the
dictates of the "Beast". Ken