Extraterrestrials: A modern folklore

F. Frank LeFever flefever at ix.netcom.com
Thu Apr 1 22:34:08 EST 1999

In what way am I "dead wrong"?  I offered two alternative possibilities
as to what your intended meaning was.  For one alternative, "jealous"
is appropriate; for the other, "envious".  Only you can know for sure
what your intended meaning was, inasmuch as your statement could be
read either way.

Perhaps you are insisting that YOUR dictionary defines "jealousy" the
way mine defines "envy", and vice-versa?  Or perhaps you see no
difference between the two?

I guess I WOULD have to work very hard to misunderstand English, given
my background--for ex., excused from completion of freshman English
(because of my proficiency) at Kenyon College, and graduating magna cum
laude from it during its height as the center of the New Criticism, at
the peak of the influence of The Kenyon Review, etc. (those who know
about English and American literature will recognize the reference;
others will not), nearly "off the scale" (top of the distribution, not
the bottom) on GRE Verbal Aptitude section, etc., etc.

Perhaps you'd care to post the definitions YOUR dictionary gives, and
show how it relates to your intended meaning rather than any meaning I
might (erroneously) infer.

F. Frank LeFever, Ph.D.
New York Neuropsycholgy Group