CREB?

hemidactylus at my-dejanews.com hemidactylus at my-dejanews.com
Sat Apr 3 00:31:43 EST 1999

I've seen brief mention of CREB in a journal article (Arendt DA and
Nubler-Jung K. 1996. BioEssays (18): 255-259). It is brought up as a
conserved mechanism of long-term memory. I've nosed around Medline a little
and came to the conclusion that this might be an important possibility. How
does CREB compare/contrast with LTP? I realize LTP has come under some
scrutiny lately. Is there good criticism for CREB? I'll probably focus more
on this when time allows, but in the meantime I'd appreciate feedback.

BTW, where is the line drawn for LTP, phylogenetically speaking? I was under
the assumption that LTP was considered a mechanism of vertebrates, but I'm
really unclear about this. Is the vertebrate/nonvertebrate dichotomy an
arbitrary one regarding LTP?

Scott Chase