Unusual stress and neurological development in children

John johnhkm at netsprint.net.au
Sat Apr 3 00:34:36 EST 1999

p.j.h wrote in message <7e2pnv$t5t$1 at bgtnsc01.worldnet.att.net>...
>has there been any research into the neuropsychopharmacological effects of
>extreme childhood trauma (excessive abuse,domestic violence ,etc.) on
>overall neurological/cognitive development?

I know there has been research correlating childhood chronic illness or long
periods of hospitalisation with frequency of depression in adult life. There
is also something about post traumatic disorder and neurophysiological
effects also, the experiments first being gone on rats but I believe there
is some evidence for a similiar effect in humans. Now that's the vague
recollections out of the way, on the converse side. Try a Medline search.

Ornstein And Sobel, The Healing Brain, 228ff, make reference to a work
Vulnerable, but Invincible, Emmy Werner and Ruth Smith, which puts forward a
case that in spite of significant childhood deprivation some individuals go
on to lead very good lives indeed. A principle difference they found in all
such cases was a strong emotional bond with the primary care givers being
established during the first year of life. The primary care giver is this
study ranged from parents to extended family arrangements.

They also found that resilient boys were often first born sons, which is
eerily close to an interesting work on birth order and personality, "Born to
Rebel" Frank Sulloway. A great read. This extensively researched work makes
mention of the impact that early childhood trauma can have on an individual,
citing that a strong sibling-parent offspring conflict appears to facilitate
the emergence of creativity. in any field. In Sulloway's world, childhood
trauma (not severe mind you) can be the engine of revolution. I won't try to
explain it all here, the text really must be read in total to appreciate
what Sulloway is driving at. I think this is a very important contribution
by Sulloway.

In,
Beyond ADD: Hunting for Reasons in the Past & Present
Author  [Thom Hartmann
Publisher [Underwood Books
Place Pub [California
Date  [1996
8
Children from abusive bad homes are far more likely to grow up well
adjusted.

9
70% of children of severe alcoholics grow up with no alcohol problem

I believe the author has referenced this ressearch so you could follow that
up.

Alternatively, save yourself all this trouble and just read AoK.

John.