Unusual stress and neurological development in children

F. Frank LeFever flefever at ix.netcom.com
Sat Apr 3 11:37:03 EST 1999

Oh, oh--should have known his good behavior couldn't last.  Collins
again without the slightest bit of humility rushes in to make flat
statements of "fact", off the top of his head, and with no basis in
actual research relevant to issues of neural plasticity in general or
of early trauma in particular.

His making the commonplace observation thatt children who are struck
often grow up to strike others is put in the (Emperor's?) clothing of
"neuroscience", when there are much better behavioral/sociological
explanations to account for the phenomenon.

To the extent that there are nerural and neuroendicrinological
consequences to early trauma or deprivation, all the current evidence
points to relevance of anterior mesocortical, limbic, and HPA
mechanisms rather than sensory ones, and the consequences are far
different from the simplistic expectations of "sympathetic magic"
afficianodos using trendy neuroscience buzzwords.

For example, see research by Michael Meaney and others in Montreal
(n.b. I met and talked with him as one of his hosts when he spoke at NY
Academy of Sciences last year).

I believe someone is presenting on this general topic in Grand Rounds
at NY State Psychiatric Institute (Columbia College of Physicians &
Surgeons, Psychiattry Dept.) this month or next--will try to remember
to bring announcement home from work and post name of presenter, etc.

If you have sufficient morbid curiosity to see what he means by "neural
Geometry" etc., I am sure Ken will invite you into the wonderlands of
his website.

F.. Frank LeFever, Ph.D.
New York Neuropsychology Group

In <37051BCC.21261B48 at banet.net> ken collins <kenpc at banet.net> writes:

>because activation that occurs in sensory "areas" drives the formation
of
>microscopic neural modifications which, subsequently, guide
convergence within
>neural activation "states", and because sensory and motor neural
mappeing are
>"mirror images", a Child who has the sensory experience of "being
struck" will
>tend to mature to an adult who will "strike".
>
>the same stuff extends to all neural dynamics, and all behavior. ken
>
>this reality can be read, directly, in the neural Geometry. ken
>
>p.j.h wrote:
>
>> has there been any research into the neuropsychopharmacological
effects of
>> extreme childhood trauma (excessive abuse,domestic violence ,etc.)
on