Unusual Child Problem: Pulling hair out

Geneva Hagen ws222 at victoria.tc.ca
Sun Apr 4 01:27:50 EST 1999

On 19 Mar 1999, F. Frank LeFever wrote:

> Janov?  After all these years?
> Oh, for crying out loud!

	Surely human neurology hasn't changed *that* much
	over the last 30 years?!

	One of Primal's cutrate cousin therapies did little
	for me except allow me to access some childhood memories
	and learn to cry at the drop of a hat.
	I do know one woman who experienced remission of physical
	ailments after Primal therapy, and she remains a very
	vigorous senior citizen.  But I saw other people
	training themselves to respond to real-time events
	by reliving old hurts and going into a grief state.

	During one weekend retreat, our therapist was horrified
	to find that we had a real live psychotic in our midst.
	At loss as to how to deal with the situation, he asked
	the other participants to recall who, from their own past,
	this psychotic most reminded them of!

	Janov did cite objectively measurable changes in his
	own post-Primal patients.  But most convincing to me
	there is a grain of truth to Primal theory is
	an account by Konrad Lorenz in his book about dogs
	(Man's Best Friend, I think it was called).  When
	Lorenz had to go away for a time, a dog left behind
	became a terrible behaviour problem.  On his return,
	the dog acted very confused and suddenly dropped to
	its haunches and let out a great howl -- after which
	its behaviour returned to normal.