CREB?

Stephan Anagnostaras stephan at ucla.edu
Mon Apr 5 07:40:06 EST 1999

In article <7e493v$rk6$1 at nnrp1.dejanews.com>, hemidactylus at my-dejanews.com
wrote:

> I've seen brief mention of CREB in a journal article (Arendt DA and
> Nubler-Jung K. 1996. BioEssays (18): 255-259). It is brought up as a
> conserved mechanism of long-term memory. I've nosed around Medline a little
> and came to the conclusion that this might be an important possibility. How
> does CREB compare/contrast with LTP? I realize LTP has come under some
> scrutiny lately. Is there good criticism for CREB? I'll probably focus more
> on this when time allows, but in the meantime I'd appreciate feedback.
>
> BTW, where is the line drawn for LTP, phylogenetically speaking? I was under
> the assumption that LTP was considered a mechanism of vertebrates, but I'm
> really unclear about this. Is the vertebrate/nonvertebrate dichotomy an
> arbitrary one regarding LTP?
>
> Scott Chase

the evidence that CREB (and protein synthesis) is involved in learning is
stronger than that for LTP; CREB has been shown to be involved in memory
in a wider range of animals (including fruitflies).  CREB is involved in
the maintenance of LTP in mice as well, though, so they are not something
you should contrast. CREB-defecient mice exhibit memory that lasts about
30 minutes and then they forget. They also don't show long-lasting LTP
(see... Bourtchuladze et al, 1994, in Cell; and Kogan et al., 1996, i
think in Current Biology; there is also a recent paper in "Learning and
Memory"(www.cshl.org) which is not indexed in medline... there are also
many fruitfly papers and a few other species).

Now LTP was recently demonstrated to be involved in learning in
invertebrates (Murphy & Glanzman, 1998 in Science), and generally
speaking, disruptions of LTP cause similar disruptions in learning.  The
correlation is not perfect, but certainly the majority of studies
examining manipulations that disrupt LTP find a disruption in learning as
well. There are many criticisms of these effects and they are quite
controversial but the involvement of CREB-dependent protein synthesis is
far less controversial.

Stephan