Braindamage due to lack of oxygen.

F. Frank LeFever flefever at ix.netcom.com
Sun Apr 4 22:36:50 EST 1999

As a kid (early teens? younger?) I used to hyperventilate and then hold
my breath to see how long as I could hold it.  I believe 2.5 minutes as
the limit.

re "nitrous oxide" and brain function: I believe you mean NITRIC oxide.
 Earlier in this discussion, I showed my ignorance of chemistry by
representing nitrous oxide as "NO2", in contrast to nitric oxide, which
is NO.  I was right about NO, wrong about "NO2": should be N20.

I also raised the question as to whether some N20 effects might be due
to production of NO, but a very quick lit search found a few articles
dealing with NO being reduced to N20, none with the reverse
process--but I could SWEAR I saw an article ascribing N20 effects to
production of NO, probably earlier than search period (I used OVID
disk).

Any biochemists out there???

F. LeFever

In <7e88qe$n64$1 at news1.epix.net> "news.epix.net" <utz at pilot.msu.edu>
writes:

>I would doubt brain damagae occurs in this situation. Your reserves of
O2 in