deja vu and epilepsy?

F. Frank LeFever flefever at ix.netcom.com
Sun Apr 4 22:02:45 EST 1999

The reason why you did not find descriptions of deja vu similar to what
you experenced is most likely because you have not been experiencing
deja vu.

One wonders about your "remembering" your "first petit mal seizure".
The usual petit mal event may pass un-noticed by the person having it
(first, second, third, and all the other petit mal events...). Perhaps
whatever happened was misdiagnosed?

All together, you describe what sounds like a tendency to "remember"
things which never happened.  Conceivably, this may be related to
partial continuous epilepsy (i.e. "TLE"), but people might think of
other explanations.

F. Frank LeFever, Ph.D.
New York Neuropsychology Group

In <37066C05.914A46B at ciaccess.com> Liane <ekuckny at ciaccess.com> writes:

>Hi,
>
>When I was around 10 I started having a LOT of deja vu.. only it
wasn't
>like most deja vu experiences I'd ever heard of before or since.
>
>At that time I was living with my aunt and uncle and 2 little
cousins.. but
>my aunt's sister Judy,  Judy's 5 yr old daughter Tammy, and my aunt's
>mother all lived on the other side of this duplex. (I'm related on my
>uncles side).  Anyway, I said all of that to give you some examples of
the
>type of 'deja vu' I was having so often at that time.
>
>Not only would I have a feeling that I had already seen and
experienced
>before what I knew I hadn't really seen and experienced before... but
it
>would be as if I was 'remembering' the same situation but reversed
roles.
>For example, one time I pushed Tammy down the steps and she cried and
ran
>in to tell my (our) aunt and got me in trouble. Immediately, I
remembered
>(deja vu) this the other way around, as though it was Tammy who pushed
me
>down, and I remembered thinking I didn't really have to cry but that I
>would to get her in trouble as a way of getting back at her.  I
remembered
>that being my reason for going in to tell. The deja vu experience was
so
>intense that to this day I'm am not sure which way it really happened.
 Did
>I push her down? Or did she push me down?  I'll never know!
>
>I could have dismissed these things as delusions, but it seemed that I
was
>correct in knowing what others were thinking at times. I couldn't do
this
>at will or anything like that.. and it happened with things that
didn't
>even matter. But I remember once I came out into the back yard and as
Tammy
>then also came out, I had another 'deja vu' experience in which I
>'remembered' living on her side of the duplex, wearing what she was
>wearing, and I remembered doing certain things with my dolls or teddy
bears
>or something like that. Anyway, there was no way I could have seen her
>doing those things because the window was too high for me to see in
and
>even if I could, I knew for myself that I didn't see her. Yet when I
told
>her... I asked her 'did you do this.. did you go here and do that and
put
>this over there' etc.... and she said 'yeah, how did you know?'  I had
been
>trying to tell her of these experiences and she hadn't believed me.
She
>thought I was pulling her leg I guess. So when I told her that it was
>because  of these experiences that I knew, she said I had to have
looked
>through the window or something.  I was really surprised at how
accurate my
>'memory' seemed to be... that I knew without seeing her what she had
been
>doing.   This was all strange to me.. I hadn't even heard of deja vu
at the
>time so I called it 'fantasies' without even knowing what the word
fantasy
>meant!!  I had heard of the word before but didn't even know what it
meant
>and yet I used it to give a name to what I was experiencing.  How
bazzaar!!

>Anyway, these are the types of deja vu I had a LOT of while living
there.

>When I was 12 I remember having my first petit mal seizure... by the
time I
>was 14 I had my first grand mal and was diagnosed with epilepsy.  I
had
>forgotton about the deja vu experiences and had no idea there could be
>connection, so I didn't even think of telling the doctor about them.
>still experienced this deja vu.. just not so often.
>
>The first meds they put me on worked.. they stopped the seizures..
although