"out of the body experiences" do not exist!

John johnhkm at netsprint.net.au
Mon Apr 5 01:55:41 EST 1999

Andrew wrote in message
<923212136.19172.0.nnrp-04.d4e44203 at news.demon.co.uk>...
>I have watched two documentaries on this subject which had hidden objects
in
>the room, placed in areas which could only be viewed from a person on a
step
>ladder.
>Following such an experience the subjects were asked to identify the
objects
>and they could.
>
>But this was only what was portrayed as accurate on the TV and I have no
way
>of assessing the validity of their claims.
>
>Food for thought though.
>
>Andrew

The immediate inclination is towards the cynical, but here and there I come
across events or statements of events that do not allow an easy dismissal of
everything paranormal. Most of it is side show alley stuff, but we are wrong
to dimiss something simply because of that.

 I know of a number of physicists who sometimes become engaged in writings
that show remarkable similiarities to ancient texts. Co-incidence maybe, but
Niels Bohr choosing to place the ying and yang symbol on the Danish Coat of
arms he received for his work in physics is another co-incidence amongst
quite a few. David Bohm went AWOL decades ago for conjuring all sorts of
strange imaginings, but he was prior to his heresy a highly respected
physicist. Frank Tipler, Professor of Physics somewhere, was written a
fanciful though at times interesting work, "The Physics of Immortality".
Fred Alan Wolf has a wonderful text (1995) Mind and the New Physics. Which
isn't about the mind at all, physicists seem to make that mistake quite a
bit, but he comes out with some fascinating stuff,

185

"There is not the slightest shred of evidence that proves the existence of a
physical world acting independently of human thought."

243

"Once we allow the possibility that atoms, electrons, and all that can be
built up from atoms and electrons are not things, the doorway to imagination
opens and all hell can break loose."

254

"We simply are insensitive to the changes and radical transformations of
utter chaos that are continually going on around us. If we were sensitive to
such changes, we would all gladly be locked up in the looney bin."

254
"Indeed, all consciousness may operate by the failure of self-reference to
make complete differentiation. It is in this sense that consciousness, in
order to exist, must be imperfect. "

The psychologist Eysenck did a study on the paranormal and concluded that
more needed to be done, and when studying astrology he repudiated astrology
but said there did exist something called the "Mars Effect", though I have
heard recently this has been discounted as the initial data was rather
problematic. Carl Jung obviously leaned that way. Oppenheimer, while leading
the Los Alamos team or around that time, was teaching himself Pali or
Sanskrit so he could read the Upanishads, the ancient written records of the
Hindu Religion.

I can amass an endless amount of detail and come up with nothing. The
problem is that in spite of the above and much more one would think that
after all this time something definitive would have emerged. (It took the
1919 eclipse before many would begin to believe Einstein.) Yet we are always
discovering the world, and I'm not having any luck at all. As the Upanishads
suggest, the universe must be playing hide and seek with us.

And I still can't figure out why we are still interested in this stuff.

John.