CREB?

Robert M. Mihalek mihalek at FORMULA1.smtp.anes.upmc.edu
Mon Apr 5 11:55:53 EST 1999

In article <7e493v$rk6$1 at nnrp1.dejanews.com>
hemidactylus at my-dejanews.com writes:

> I've seen brief mention of CREB in a journal article (Arendt DA and
> Nubler-Jung K. 1996. BioEssays (18): 255-259). It is brought up as a
> conserved mechanism of long-term memory. I've nosed around Medline a little
> and came to the conclusion that this might be an important possibility. How
> does CREB compare/contrast with LTP? I realize LTP has come under some
> scrutiny lately. Is there good criticism for CREB? I'll probably focus more
> on this when time allows, but in the meantime I'd appreciate feedback.

Check out the Neuron and Cell publications from Jerry C.P. Yin and Tim
Tully. They did the Drosophila CREB work showing the divergent effects
of two splice variants, CREB activator and CREB repressor, on
protein-synthesis dependent long-term memory. Over-expression of CREB
activator essentially made the flies super-smart (odor-o-graphic
memory) and expression of the CREB blocker form nixed the flies'
ability to develope long-term memory.

Since this is such an excellently presented case of CREB's involvement
in long-term memory in a live behaving animal, you really needn't worry
about LTP.

please remove the name of the RACE SERIES for e-mail replies