LTP and post-tetanic potentiation

Grushnik james.teo at chch.ox.ac.uk
Mon Apr 5 14:27:34 EST 1999

On 2 Mar 1999 17:07:14 GMT, Sturla Molden <stumol at stud.ntnu.no> wrote:

>I have a technical question regarding LTP and PTP:
>If LTP is induced massively in a brain slice (until
>saturation level), will that also occlude new PTP
>in the slice? Or, rephrased, do LTP and PTP have
>some common expression mechnisms? I would be very happy
>if anyone could direct me to recent litterature on the
>matter.

I'm not too sure about this, but I thought PTP was an artefact of the
electrical stimulation of the presynaptic cell. (ie. after a tetanus,
there is an accumulation of calcium (or whatever signal)
intracellularly and so less is needed if the cell is stimulated
again).
Perhaps what you mean is STP. In which case I can't help you since I
don't know much about it either. I don't think much is known about it,
although I do recall being told by my tutor or someone that they
probably share some common elements.