UFOs "abductions" are imaginary:Bertrand Méheust

AlMaur777 almaur777 at aol.com
Mon Apr 5 13:02:22 EST 1999

I wrote the piece on M. Persinger in OMNI (UFO Updates, collected along with
other Antimatter items in OMNI's Book of the Bizarre, OMNI books, 1984).
Persinger correlated UFO phenomena on a computer with natural phenomena ranging
from storms to tornadoes and earthquakes. A strong correlation with earthquake
activity emerged. Further research suggested that the piezioelectric effect
caused by quartz rock being earth squished produced ball lightening like
effects and could produce mental hallucinatory experiences (seeing child like
alien faces such as those now familiar to us all form Close Encounters, etc.)
and so on. Along with the research I reported years earlier in Future showing
that many UFO reports were caused by migrating bug swarms lit up by atomosperic
electric activity, David Huford's work (The Terror That Comes in The Night,U of
PA press, 1982) and recent revelations by the Air Force that up to half of all
ufo sightings were really advanced secret US aircraft, we may be discovering
that "the truth is out there," but it ain't about aliens and interstellar
spaceships. Another avenue of great current interest is the "narrative
construal of reality."
And to our French friend, I'd say, you don't have to be Gallic to be a skeptic.
Allan Maurer