re- Braindamage due to lack of oxygen

Dr. Alan Wheatley rawheatley at canadalane.demon.co.uk
Mon Apr 5 17:00:25 EST 1999

flefever at ix.netcom.com(F. Frank LeFever) wrote (7508, 5 Apr 1999):

<snip>
>I also raised the question as to whether some N20 effects might be due
>to production of NO, but a very quick lit search found a few articles
>dealing with NO being reduced to N20, none with the reverse
>process--but I could SWEAR I saw an article ascribing N20 effects to
>production of NO, probably earlier than search period (I used OVID
>disk).
>
>Any biochemists out there???

What Frank is suggesting seems unlikely.

N2O + H2O Π2NO + 2H+      deltaE = - 1.59 V, deltaG = + 307 kJ/mol

To convert nitrous oxide to nitric oxide, it would have to be coupled with
a reaction that could provide more than 307 kJ/mol of free energy.  It
would also involve breaking the strong N-N bond; nitrous oxide is
relatively unreactive and, when it reacts, the N-O bond is the more likely
to break with consequent oxidising properties.  I know that enzymes can do
marvellous things but there are limits.  If Frank really did see this
article, the mode of action of N2O that it postulated should not be
accepted without really convincing experimental evidence in its favour.
                                                   Alan.

Dr. Alan Wheatley at http://www.canadalane.demon.co.uk