Spontaneous Oneirosis in "UFOs" "abductions"?

John johnhkm at netsprint.net.au
Tue Apr 6 11:53:32 EST 1999

The 40 Hz bit got my interest, reminded my Llinas work regarding the
possibility that the intralaminar cells (thalamus) emanate these cycles
which appear to entrain cerebral synchrony. Why we should hope for such
synchrony is a mystery to me, I tend to take a modular view, even of the
elusive consciousness. I wonder if this activity is really designed to
enable wide ranging inhibition, thus allowing for heightened concentration
and a focussed delivery of nutrient resources.

The popular forms of meditation (concentration) are exercises in training
inhibition, personnally I prefer the vispassana styles where the emphasis is
more on open awareness. I think inhibtion has not received sufficient
attention, though this may be a result of, since the 60's at least, a
leaning towards a computer based model of brain function; a perspective I
find particularly distasteful and am consistently amazed at looney
assertions of being able to upload a human consciousness in the next 30
years or so. So what is it we're going to upload?

Perhaps sustained inhibition causes a revolt by the relevant cortical areas
that may be driven by the need to up the nutrient supply. This revolt may
result in strange things happening. It has been shown that visual neurons
fire intensely during sleep and most people dream visually, they don't hear
dreams, they see them. As in dreams, the usual physical constraints are not
factored in because in these states the brain has no real awareness or
memory of the physical constraints; it may have to rely on sensory cues for
this. This may explain why dreams occur and are so fragmentary and strange,
dreams simply being the brain's way of keeping its various parts adequately
fed or flushed. Okay, dreams are very complex stuff, this is a rather minor
part, but chances are that a full explanation of dreams will require a host
of interacting causes. It also makes sense in terms of halluncinations and
UFO experiences, the visual cortex firing away but without adequate sensory
cues to create a 'typical' reality. People who meditate for a long time
often report visions etc; too much religion is built on such proclamations.

Thanks patanie

John

Instead of turnings its illuminating rays within itself - that is, towards
the will from which it has its principle of existence - consciousness is
kept busy with the objective world of realities and ideas; and when it tries
to look into itself, there is a world of absolute unity where the object of
which it wishes to know is the subject itself. The sword cannot cut itself.

        D. T. Suzuki, Essays in Zen Buddhism

<7ecvp5$q56$1 at nnrp1.dejanews.com>...