LTP and post-tetanic potentiation

F. Frank LeFever flefever at ix.netcom.com
Mon Apr 5 21:26:03 EST 1999

My understanding is that LTP as usually studied IS "post-tetanic"
potentiation, because the usual procedure has been to use high rates of
suprathreshold stimulation, driving the neurons--i.e. into tetanus.

More recently, some have adopted a procedure using stimulation
parameters more like those occurring naturally, called "prime burst
potentiation" sometimes (or sometimes simply "LTP", but with
specification that the stimuli are not tetanic).  It has been argued
that LTP accomplished this way is vulnerable to manipulations of
conditions that tetanic LTP is not (e.g. altered cortisol levels??),
and thus more physiologically relevant.

I don't know exact details of what Sturla refers to, but this may be
relevant: NO normally amplifies/perpetuates/spatially distributes
effects of NMDA activation, including enhanced LTP; but excessive or
untimely NO will block LTP.  (see, for example, Izumi & Zorumski,
Neuroreport 1993, 4, 1131-1134; I had the pleasure of discussing this
with Izumi when he stopped by my poster at Society for Neuroscience,
1996)

F. Frank LeFever, Ph.D.
New York Neuropsychology Group