Unusual stress and neurological development in children

F. Frank LeFever flefever at ix.netcom.com
Tue Apr 6 22:28:51 EST 1999

As promised: the speaker is Paul Plotsky, at PI new building, new
auditorium, 11:00am April 16 (for those in the NYC area).

Did lit search on Plotsky and found that while he has published some
relevant stuff with other authors, working out of Emory U. School of
Med, he has also been working with Meaney and the rest at McGill.

Probably the most relevant to the initial query:

Heim C, Owens MJ, Plotsky PM, Nemeroff CB (1997) The role of early
adverse life events...(etc.), in Annals of the NY Academy of Sciences,
831, 194-207.

(n.b. Academy members get one free volume of Annals per year, 2-3
others at c. $10 or $15; listing of Annals at www.nyas.org)

Heim C et al. (same as above) Persistent changes in
corticotropin-releasing factor...(etc.) Psychopharmacology Bulletin,
1997, 33, 185-192,

Caldji C, Tannenbaum B et al (incl. Plotsky & Meaney) Maternal care
during infancy...(etc.); Proc. Nat. Academy of Science 1998,95,
5335-5340.

Meaney MJ, Diorio J et al. Early environmental regulation...(etc.)
Developmental Neuroscience, 1996,18, 49-72.

F. Frank LeFever, Ph.D.
New York Neuropsychology Group
(& NYAS)

In <7e5g3f$1lp at dfw-ixnews5.ix.netcom.com> flefever at ix.netcom.com(F.
Frank LeFever) writes:

>Oh, oh--should have known his good behavior couldn't last.  Collins
>again without the slightest bit of humility rushes in to make flat
>statements of "fact", off the top of his head, and with no basis in
>actual research relevant to issues of neural plasticity in general or
>of early trauma in particular.
>
>His making the commonplace observation thatt children who are struck
>often grow up to strike others is put in the (Emperor's?) clothing of
>"neuroscience", when there are much better behavioral/sociological
>explanations to account for the phenomenon.
>
>To the extent that there are nerural and neuroendicrinological
>consequences to early trauma or deprivation, all the current evidence
>points to relevance of anterior mesocortical, limbic, and HPA
>mechanisms rather than sensory ones, and the consequences are far
>different from the simplistic expectations of "sympathetic magic"
>afficianodos using trendy neuroscience buzzwords.
>
>For example, see research by Michael Meaney and others in Montreal
>(n.b. I met and talked with him as one of his hosts when he spoke at
NY