Spontaneous Oneirosis in "UFOs" "abductions"?

Xul none at nowhere.com
Tue Apr 6 23:45:03 EST 1999

patanie at my-dejanews.com wrote in message
<7ecvp5$q56$1 at nnrp1.dejanews.com>...
>Below is evidence which,in my opinion, might point to a neuro-psychological
>explanation of alleged "abductions" by "Ufos":
>

> Volume 11 : Number 4 : Article 1
>
>                   (Journal of scientific Exploration)
>

>                    Topographic Brain Mapping of UFO
>                             Experiencers
>
>                                    by
>
>                              Norman S. Don
>
>    Kairos Foundation and University of Illinois at Chicago, 1187
>               Wilmette Ave., no.174, Wilmette, IL 60091
>
>                                    and
>
>                                Gilda Moura
>
>  Kairos Foundation, Caixa Postal 14528, CEP 22412-000, Rio de
>                              Janeiro, Brazil
>
>                       Volume 11 Number 4: Page 435.
>
>A cohort of Brazilian subjects, claiming experiences with UFOs
>involving contact or abduction, were selected for topographic brain
>mapping. One of the most important selection criteria was the
>ability to enter into a self-reported, non-ordinary state of
>consciousness or trance that developed spontaneously after their
>abduction or contact experiences. Analysis of their EEGs revealed
>that all subjects entered voluntarily into an hyperaroused trance. In
>this state, they maintained a condition of muscular relaxation and
>immobility while their EEGs exhibited high frequency (beta) activity
>at all 19 electrode sites, but with maximum activity at the prefrontal
>and adjacent loci. Inspection of the EEGs from the
>prefrontal/frontal sites revealed intermittent trains of rhythmic,
>approximately 40 Hz activity, attaining very high amplitudes, at
>times exceeding 40 microvolts. This activity was distinct in
>morphology and frequency from faster, usually concurrent activity,
>probably attributable to scalp muscle discharge (EMG). Analysis of
>40 Hz, midline scalp activity, statistically controlling for the effects
>of EMG, revealed significantly more 40 Hz activity in trance than in
>baseline (p < .006). Also, the dominant alpha frequency increased
>during trance (p < .01). Both EEG findings suggest the occurrence
>of a state of hyperarousal. There was no evidence of epileptiform
>discharges in our data or clinical indications of possible epilepsy.
>Also, there was no brain activity suggestive of psychopathology,
>particularly schizophrenia, nor were there clinical indications of
>psychopathology.
>
>The EEG results were related to the physiological
>effects of highly focused attention and recent findings in
>neuroscience. Also noted were similarities to advanced meditative
>states and differences from psychopathology.

If this is true, it is interesting. It's similar to findings of PET scans
done on people who claim to be psychics. The scans show a significant
increase in brain activity during the period when the subject claims to be
experiencing visions (for lack of a better word), including activity towards
the back of the brain in the parietal lobe, where there are normally not
that much activity, if I remember right. Of course, in my opinion, it is
also similar to schizophrenia, in that the brain seems to be over
stimulated, though schizophrenia usually receives over stimulation in the
sensory parts of the brain. Could there be a link between people who claim
to be psychics and people who claim to be abducted?