video-behavior

Stephan Anagnostaras stephan at ucla.edu
Thu Apr 8 04:32:29 EST 1999

In article <370A447D.EE72C46F at merck.com>, tanner mullen
<tanner_mullen at merck.com> wrote:

> I am looking for information regarding video equipment used for
> behavioral observation (mice).  Questions: are there advantages to
> buying simple industrial cameras vs. consumer camcorders?  (i.e.
> reliability/durability)  Any information on recording devices would be
> welcome, including ways of recording up to 12 hours at a time, motion
> detection software, etc.
>

>        The contents of this message express only the sender's opinion.
>        This message does not necessarily reflect the policy or views of
>        my employer, Merck & Co., Inc.  All responsibility for the statements
>        made in this Usenet posting resides solely and completely with the
>        sender.

Hello,

I've done a lot of this. Using video to score mice is very difficult,
because mice are so small.  Most equipment is designed for rats and is
often not sensitive enough to detect mice. There is also the problem that
mice are inconsistent in terms of color whereas rats are not. In any case,
it can be done, with some care; what exactly are you trying to measure?

Stephan Anagnostaras, PhD
UCLA Neurobiology