CREB?

F. Frank LeFever flefever at ix.netcom.com
Wed Apr 7 21:31:02 EST 1999

Well, I WILL ask: what is Bauplane?  German for "building plan"?

re vertebrate and arthopod inversion: yes, we (speaking for myself,
anyway, as a vertebrate) have skeletons on the inside, and "they" have
skeletons on the outside; but do you have in mind something more
profound than that?

And yes, there do seem to be common mechanisms involved in brain
plasticity at the level of memory formation and at the level of
development.

F. Frank LeFever, Ph.D.
New York Neuropsychology Group

In <7eh1hp$7bm$1 at nnrp1.dejanews.com> hemidactylus at my-dejanews.com
writes:

>In article <7eapup$l1r$1 at usenet01.srv.cis.pitt.edu>,
>  mihalek at FORMULA1.smtp.anes.upmc.edu (Robert M. Mihalek) wrote:
>> In article <7e493v$rk6$1 at nnrp1.dejanews.com>
>> hemidactylus at my-dejanews.com writes:
>>
>> > I've seen brief mention of CREB in a journal article (Arendt DA
and
>> > Nubler-Jung K. 1996. BioEssays (18): 255-259). It is brought up as
>> > conserved mechanism of long-term memory. I've nosed around Medline
a little
>> > and came to the conclusion that this might be an important
possibility. How
>> > does CREB compare/contrast with LTP? I realize LTP has come under
some
>> > scrutiny lately. Is there good criticism for CREB? I'll probably
focus more
>> > on this when time allows, but in the meantime I'd appreciate
feedback.

>> Check out the Neuron and Cell publications from Jerry C.P. Yin and
Tim
>> Tully. They did the Drosophila CREB work showing the divergent
effects
>> of two splice variants, CREB activator and CREB repressor, on
>> protein-synthesis dependent long-term memory. Over-expression of
CREB
>> activator essentially made the flies super-smart (odor-o-graphic
>> memory) and expression of the CREB blocker form nixed the flies'
>> ability to develope long-term memory.
>>
>> Since this is such an excellently presented case of CREB's
involvement
>> in long-term memory in a live behaving animal, you really needn't
worry
>> about LTP.
>>

>Thanks to everybody who entered this discussion. I'm pretty much
lurking
>right now. I'll be able to attack the literature a little more in a
month.
>I'd love to find a way of conceptually linking engrams with Bauplane
(don't
>ask ;-)), but I need to get some more molecular details under my belt.
The