Extraterrestrials: A modern folklore

F. Frank LeFever flefever at ix.netcom.com
Wed Apr 7 21:05:12 EST 1999

Merci, monsieur--however, my French is so poor that I'll not attempt to
continue in French.

I believe English has great POTENTIAL for precision in expressing fine
shades of meaning, but given our laissez-faire approach (no
Academy...), distinctions become blurred in the general populace--if
enough people persist in confusing terms (jealous for envious, infer
for imply, anxious for eager, etc.), eventually some dictionary will
validate this usage.

If people ignored fine distinctions in COMPUTER language, no computer
programs would work!

Never mind "nice"; did you know that "bad" now means "very good"?

F. LeFever